Tuesday, December 14, 2010

St. Lucy Day

Well St. Lucy day has come and gone! We began the morning by making our St. Lucy crowns. I cut out leaf shapes from green construction paper along with little red circles for berries and white candles with orange "flames". The girls got right to gluing. As you can see in the finished product on their heads Snow White was much more meticulous about covering up the brown head band than Flower Picker!



Last year I made a homemade St. Lucy bread (gluten free at that!) which I was much more pleased with than I was with this years bread. Here is last years picture!



I attempted to do the super easy from the can method from Catholic Icing but for some reason the "rolls" did not rise. I don't know if I played with them too much trying to braid them together or if I used the wrong pan...anyway they still tasted fine (especially with lots of yummy icing!). For dinner we had Chicken and pasta with white sauce (for St. Lucy the Virgin). We didn't have any canned Alfredo sauce so I made my own using this recipe. In my humble opinion it was better than restaurant sauce! A little garlicy but so so tasty!!

We also talked about the story of St. Lucy and enjoyed the St. Lucy felt board story from Holy Heros Advent Adventures. All in all it was a nice morning! Hope everyone enjoyed the festivities!

On another note I wanted to post our finished Our Lady of Guadalupe bean pictures. So here they are!



I didnt have the colors I wanted so we dyed Lentils with blue coloring turning them greenish and dyed white beans red for Our Lady's Dress. I found the idea on Our Little Catholic Corner which was linked on Catholic Icing. I had the girls "paint" the glue onto the drawing with a Q-tip so that it would be spread evenly. They loved this craft and I am looking forward to using beans in our crafts more often!

Katie

3 comments:

  1. The bean mosaics of Our Lady of Guadalupe are beautiful! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, what a lovely St. Lucia Day you had at your home. You have a lovely family. blessings, Gardenia at My Little Flower

    ReplyDelete