Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Little Flower Bugs


I wanted to just give an explanation of how I named my blog! I have had a special devotion to St Therese for many years, in fact my oldest daughter is named after her! So I knew that I wanted to honor her in the title. As for the bugs!! There is a story about how the lady bug got it's name as "Our Lady's bug" which I have pasted here:

The most commonly circulated story about how the ladybug got its name is quite interesting. According to that account, quite a long time ago in Europe, a small farming village was experiencing unprecedented problems with insects that kept devouring the crops. Faced with certain ruin, the peasants fell to their knees and began to beg the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary to send help in their calamity. Their simple faith was soon rewarded. The farmers began to notice a change in the crops. The dying foliage started to revitalize and greenness once again appeared on the landscape. Something was definitely reversing the devastation. As they looked closer, the farmers noticed small red bugs with black dots festooning their tiny concave, shell-like, bodies. Like soldiers called in to battle, they were eating the culprits—destructive aphids.

“Our Lady’s bugs, Our Lady’s beetles,” the grateful villagers proclaimed. Eventually, as the small insects became a familiar part of their lives, the people shortened their name to ladybugs, the term by which they are still known today and perhaps one of the reasons why they are so well-loved. Whatever the case, ladybugs are the allies of farmers; they are tiny soldiers that patrol the fields making sure there will be food on the table for everyone.

So I decided that since bugs and flowers go together I could honor both St Therese and the Blessed Mother in the title of my blog to hopefully remind me to live each day with a childlike spirit like St Therese and to always stay close to the Blessed Mother as model of Mother.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment